Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Oprah Better Watch Her Back!

So. Guess who has started her own book club? Yep, that would be moi. I know, I know. You're thinking,
Smart Cookie, what about your self-diagnosed social anxiety disorder? Or, your belief that people are fun, but only in moderation? What about that? Huh? Huh?
Deep sigh. That's all still true. But I wanted to join a book club. I seriously heart reading. In fact, last night I was reading a book, and J said (a little peeved), "Jeez, you're always reading something, aren't you?" Anyway, I checked out some bookclubs -online of course, and wasn't interested in any of the book selections. That coupled with the fact that all these people would be -(gasp!) strangers, was definitely a deterrent.
So I had a lightbulb, or a flash of genius if you will. I would start my own bookclub. But Smart Cookie, you may say,
You kinda are not close to too many people. Wouldn't a bookclub not, um, be a bookclub if it was just...you?
Ahhhh, but that is where Facebook comes in. I lurve Facebook. It is totally my type of keeping in touch. Closeness, without being too close. I have a tendency to feel overwhelmed by people, and Facebook keeps me connected without making me feel suffocated. So, I chose some of my peeps on Facebook, many whom I haven't seen in years, and sent them a mass letter asking them if they would like to be part of my bookclub (I say my, but it's not really mine, more like ours). Honestly, I had prepped myself for disappointment. I had only chosen people who had made a genuine effort to reach out to me, whether it was by commenting on my status, sending me notes, or reading this blog, and whom I would feel comfortable with (tres important, obvs. -have I mentioned I don't handle rejection well?), but who knew? People have their jobs and their families and their babies and their lives.
But to my surprise, many of my peeps were interested! I'm so excited. It may seem lame to some, but as someone who ironically often shuns people but craves friendship, I'm really happy about it.

Our first book is Such a Pretty Fat: One Narcissist's Quest to Discover if Her Life Makes Her Ass Look Big, Or Why Pie is Not the Answer by Jen Lancaster. I chose that book because of the first line, "Today on a bus, a guy called me a fat bitch." Oooooh, sounds good already! And because, as a 33 year old with an ever changing body and consequently, a low body-image, I thought it would be enlightening to discuss it with a bunch of girls who may suffer from the same issues, and if not, may give me some tips on how to squash my inner bitch, at least where my weight is concerned.

So, I'll say it again. Oprah? I'm coming for you, bitch!

3 comments:

Chrissy, Jess, & Baby Lena said...

My book should arrive today, I am so excited!

Oh, and I love the new cookie pic!

AmandaDufau said...

I'm glad you blog about it. I didn't want to until you did. Also? It was a great idea, I knew our peeps (ours, right? since it is our bookclub) would say yes. I even told my sister, and the other C wants to know if she can tell another friend of ours.
I'm soooo excited!

Lesli said...

Loved that book!! I just sent it off to one of my girlfriends to read, too. We are not in a book club--but we like to swap books through the mail. It is a great choice for a book club. :)