Thursday, January 1, 2009

Back Story

My first, brand-spankin' new day of 2009 was spent (drum roll, please).... in the emergency room! Ugh. J pulled his back, we're not really sure how, and was totally and completely incapacitated. I'm talking no movement, let me help you with your shoes, walking with a cane (thank you, grandpa), and being carted around in a wheelchair whenever possible. I honestly thought there were moments when he was going to just give up and pass out. And he's a boy! Even though he can be a big ol' baby about some stuff, he was pale and sweaty and looking altogether, no bueno.
We were only in the emergency room for about 2 1/2 hours. Ironically, we got there at a good time, and we didn't have to wait long. J kept looking at me all miserable and saying, "You know I'm not faking, right?" We usually differ on what to do on major dates -I like semi-social plans, and he prefers to stay in our homey cocoon. Anyway, I told him I for sure knew that he wasn't faking. What kind of sick f&ck would go through all that just to stay home on New Year's? Not my J, that's for damn sure.

J and I almost peed in our pants (ironic, no?) when the doctor asked him about his bowel movements. How 2nd grade are we? The doctor asked if J had peed or pooped on himself without his knowing it. Gross, mmmmmkay? Thankfully, his answer was a resounding NO.
Anyway, after an X-ray which showed that he did not have a stress fracture (no poop, Sherlock) or a severely herniated disk (yay!), we were given a prescription for hard-core meds and sent on our merry way.
At the moment, my love is sprawled in bed, hopped up on some serious painkillers, and in a food coma -we ate McDonald's for lunch and KFC for dinner. So much for starting the new year off right.

So, how about you? Did you get a good start?

1 comments:

AmandaDufau said...

wow...that sucks. I hope he gets better soon!

Uh, well, I had a similar crappy first day of the year: I'm having car issues, and no money to pay for them.