Sunday, May 3, 2009

What Not to Wear

No, really. Really. When your outfit spontaneously combusts, it's a problem.

This past Friday, my girlfriend A, my cousin M, and I went to Shecky's Girls' Night Out. We got all prettied up and headed to the Design District. My parents' business is in the Design District, and I'm so used to simply going to and from the office (plus the fact that I'm totally not cool -not even a little bit) that I was totally unaware that it's become a very hip (that's the word the kids are using these days, right?) scene.

We only stayed for about an hour. The drinks were included in the admission price, but they weren't too yummy. And the bartenders were assholes. Don't hold drinks hostage until a tip is put in the jar. And don't tap the tip jar. Doing that only guarantees that I'm going to snatch one out from under your smarmy grasp and leave you nothing. Well, almost. My cousin M tipped him because she's a sucker (or some might say, so sweet).
Looking at pretty clothing and jewelry is my favorite, but the pricetags for these items were outrageous. There was a vendor selling strapless, smocked dresses, which I seriously love for their ease, versatility, and ability to hide an expanding midsection, and as we passed, I told my cousin M how much I loved the dresses (check me out in my strapless smocked dress!), and she just looked at me and said,

"Do you know how many dresses like that you could buy at Ross?"
Which, duh, is so true. And one of the girls who was actually considering buying one of the dresses looked at my cousin and said, "Oh, no! Don't tell me that!"

I almost bought a necklace because I was seriously feeling the urge to buy something, anything. I think it was because the air was so charged (get it?) with the buy stuff vibes. The necklace was only $20. It was a thin, short gold chain with a small rose quartz-ish looking stone. It was delicate and really lovely. I thought I might wear it to my brother's wedding, but in the end, I didn't feel that it was special enough for my wedding outfit and for $20? Um, no.

But don't get too excited thinking that I didn't buy anything. We ended up going to Target (my cousin M and I were looking for jeweled barettes to wear to my brother's wedding), and I bought the most delicious chartreuse scarf and a floppy beach hat. Beautiful.
OH! And the admission price (for advance tickets) included a goody bag! It wasn't anything out of this world, but it did include a romance novel, a bunch of lotions and creams, tampons, and one of those individual, just add water and microwave chocolate cakes.

I'm so going to eat that now.

1 comments:

AmandaDufau said...

Had a great time, love!
Send me the pics so that I can post the one of the two of us. =)