Friday, July 17, 2009

I Don't Like to Buy Anything I Can't Return...

which is why despite the fact that I want a tattoo, I'm too much of a scared-y cat to actually get one.

Y'all know about my financial sad-face (which is not really super sad-face, I'm in no immediate danger of living under a bridge with nothing to keep me warm but all my clothes, some with the tags still on them).

Anyhoodle, besides my crazy pills, something that's been making me feel like not stabbing myself with a fork is this Bible verse:

You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in You; Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord, the Lord is the rock eternal.
Isaiah 26:3 (I'm pretty sure)

Whenever I feel like jumping out of my skin or screaming at the top of my lungs or laying in the fetal position crying big, salty tears, I just recite this to myself, over and over and over (like a mental patient, you might say) until I feel better. And inevitably, I do.

So last night I made the mistake of watching L.A. Ink, which I never do, and I was kinda inspired by people and their tattoos and what their tattoos mean to them.

And I started thinking. I would love to get a tattoo on the inside of my wrist that says:

Trust in the Lord
always
My friend Nae Nae (love you, sister) even said she'd go with me.
I even wrote it in pen on my wrist, just to see what it would look like. And I kinda liked it.
But.
But J and everyone in my family hates the idea. They think tattoos are "skanky", "slutty", and "hoochie". Cookies, if you have tattoos please do not get all up in arms, this is a very Cuban way of thinking. And even though J's not Cuban, his argument is,
"You've gone 33 years (just like Jesus!) without marking your body -why do it
now?"
Yeah, this from the guy who wanted a flaming baseball on his bicep but it was too expensive, so now he has what looks like Mr. Peanut on his bicep because that's all he could afford.
Anyhoodle, like I said, I wrote it on my left wrist. And I asked my brother about it. He wasn't liking the idea not one little bit.
SC: So. I'm thinking about getting a tattoo. What do you think?
SCB: Um.... NO! You crazy?
SC: No, I just think I want one.
SCB: Nuh-uh.
SC: It would be small.
SCB: Yeah? And where would you get it? I hope not on your ankle or something. Maybe somewhere private where only you could see it. Or you could only see it if you were in a bathing suit or something. As long as you couldn't see it when you were, you know, wearing clothes.
SC: It would be tasteful. It wouldn't be a Snoopy or a Betty Boop or something stupid like that with no meaning.
SCB: (Snorts) Yeah, I've seen lots of tasteful tattoos.
SC: How about my wrist? Look. It doesn't look bad! I wrote it in pen.
SCB: Oh, yeah? Well how about this? Just keep writing it in pen -don't get a fucking tattoo.
The End.
Deep sigh.

2 comments:

Chrissy, Jess, & Baby Lena said...

OMG, this post made me LOL. Maybe one of my favorite ones yet.

I still say do it, and yes, I'll still go. ; )

AmandaDufau said...

omg, lol!!
I totally feel you. I want one too, but I'm too much of a chicken to get it.