Thursday, June 4, 2009

Genius! In theory, of course....

So this recession sucks, right? And everybody and their mother is looking for ways to make some extra smackaroonies -and this cookie is no exception. I've tried to sell stuff on ebay -a big FU to the person who bid on my crap and never contacted me about payment, and I've thought about selling everything -Dove Chocolate, Mary Kay, Avon, but... bleh. Not super interested.

I have a friend who sells Dove Chocolate, and for an initial investment of $100, you make 25% of everything you sell. Cool, no? I mean chocolate is a multi-million dollar industry. A sure thing. Um, yes, but. But, when I buy chocolate, I buy it at our local grocery store. I don't buy it at a chocolate party. And guess who would be hosting these chocolate parties? Me, that's who. Which is not really the problem. But it's a lot of work. Mostly because I wouldn't be selling candy bars, I'd be selling chocolate products. And I'd have to make all the stuff. Can we say hello 10 pounds, goodbye any pants sans elastic waists? Not for me. A la soup nazi, NEXT!

Mary Kay works similarly, but after the initial investment, you make 50% of everything you sell. Great, right? Well, in theory. Who uses Mary Kay? I buy most of my makeup at the drugstore.

And Avon? They have cute stuff. But I'm just not really interested. You might as well be asking me to sell water filters. Bleh.

Plus! The problem with all of these is that I'd be harrassing my friends and family to buy stuff from me just to, well, buy stuff from me.

And then, like the heavens opening up, it hit me!

I am passionate about clothes. What if, I could find a direct sales company for clothes? I know, right? Effing GENIUS! I love clothes, I love shopping, I love helping people shop for clothes, I love it ALL! I could even transform my little used dining room into a dressing area, complete with mirrors, rolling racks, and a changing room. It would be adorable!

But after some research, the only clothing companies that are direct sales clothing companies are too expensive and a little stuffy. I mean, if I don't spend $100 on a dress, there's no way that I would convince anyone else to do so. Plus, with Forever 21? Forget it. I'd need to find cute stuff priced between $30 - $60.

Deep sigh. Back to the drawing board.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know where you're from, but have you heard of Lia Sophia? From what I hear, their sales girls make some nice money and their products are great. I'm a Lia Sophia shop-a-holic, myself. I love their stuff.