Sunday, December 21, 2008

Shopping My Feelings Away

Friday was a bad day. Although it was the last day of school before Christmas break, and you would expect me to be thrilled and over the moon, I was blue. And it all had to do with the presents I received from my students, which pretty much sucked. Now, before you get all up in arms shouting, "We are in a recession you greedy cookie! How dare you want more from your students' parents! Do you not know they pay a pretty penny for private school education and on top of THAT they are Santa Claus?!" Let me just say that I don't expect my students to bring me expensive gifts, even though I have gotten some pricey gifts in years past -Chanel perfume, Swarovksi crystal, Montblanc pen, blah, blah, blah.

But I WOULD have liked to have been given gifts, no matter how small, that let me know that the parents appreciate me and what I do for their child, rather than gifts that made me feel like an afterthought, or my favorite, a glorified, overpaid (ha!) babysitter. Hell, I would've been happy with a $5 Starbucks giftcard and a lovely handwritten note. But, NO! Out of seven kids, I got three boxes of chocolates (one with a stuffed animal -don't even get me started), a shirt, a candle, and a basket of crackers and cheeses (this one was actually quite nice).

And to add insult to injury, I had given each of my kids a set of reindeer antlers and made each one a personalized stocking, which I filled with candy, pencils, and erasers. And the ONE kid who did not even bring me a present, the son of Mr. & Mrs. LeDouchetard, had the NERVE to say, "Candy?! That's all we get?" If I tell you that I had to physically restrain myself, I would not be exaggerating.
So after school, I went to my favorite discount-ish shops -Marshall's, Nine West Outlet, Kirkland's, and New York & Co. to shop away my very hurt and unappreciated self. And as I shopped, I could not help looking at tons of gifts under $10 and thinking, I would've loved to have gotten that! That is so cute! That looks just like something I would love. Despite great deals, nothing really worked for me, and I only spent $16 at Kirkland's on a sign and two really pretty crosses (one to keep on hand as an emergency gift). And then, I went to Ulta. I was committed to buying some make-up.

Now, let me just say that I am all about drugstore make-up. Drugstore make-up is like the Forever 21 of makeup, and has likewise ruined me for expensive makeup. But, like I said, I was sad and I was determined. As I was perusing the Smashbox aisle, the SB rep. asked if I'd like a makeover. Bored, sad, and with nowhere to go, I said sure. She asked me what I wanted to learn, and I told her I wanted to learn how to look as if I have flawless skin. Oily, acne-prone, and with ginormous pores, that is always my biggest concern. So she started and she rubbed a bunch of stuff on my face, and it really felt lovely, and she explained everything. And when I saw myself in the mirror, my skin really did look better.
BUT I WAS WEARING A POUND OF MAKE-UP. She had applied with a Kabuki brush, and let's just say Kabuki was an apt term. It was caked on. It was an inch thick and settled into all my fine lines. When I smiled I could feel flakes cascading down my face. I was super self-conscious, and she had spent so much time with me, I was definitely going to buy SOMETHING. So despite the fact that I was wearing a MASK, I bought these:

Not in this palette, though. The one I bought is a pink palette and it's so beautifully packaged that it is almost too beautiful to use.



This is awesome for shine control. One of my students a couple of years back said, "Mrs. Smart Cookie, you are the shiny-est teacher I've ever had!"

It was pretty embarrassing walking throughout the store in my drag queen makeup, but since Ulta is a 20 minute drive from my chez, and therefore not a place I frequent often, I wanted to get the full experience. I've started incorporating some of the new products into my look, and I have to say, I do heart it. Or, it could just be that I'm so grateful to be on vacation and away from the seven minions of chaos and insanity that my skin is just mother cluckin' glowing. Whatever. I'll take it.

0 comments: