Sunday, November 23, 2008

Weekend Update

SATURDAY:
MAJOR MELTDOWN. I went spinning Saturday morning, and when I returned, Whitey had escaped from his cage and had wreaked havoc ALL OVER the house. He emptied the entire contents of my purse, my school bag, and my wallet (don't ask me how, it has a turn and lock clasp). Not only did he manage to make a total mess, but he ate an eraser, which he later threw up, pooped on the bathroom rug, peed on the dining room curtains, and chewed on my phone. FUN TIMES!
The mess pushed me over the edge. So I started to cry, the ugly cry. And I looked and sounded like a crazy crackhead. You know when you're crying so hard that your face gets all puffy and snot is coming out of your nose and when your not pushing actual tears out, you're just whimpering like a small puppy? Yep, that was me. And I was talking to myself. Like out loud, not in my head. Like a crazy person. And I was repeating the same thing over and over again a la Dane Cook, "I'm so tired, I just can't do it anymore." Lather, rinse, repeat. And it was funny because it was almost like I was outside of myself, watching myself, and thinking to myself, Whom do I sound like? Hmmm. Maybe like my.... MOTHER! Oh my! My DNA rears it's ugly head again! You can't escape the crazy! Couple that with a wicked case of PMS, and you have the perfect recipe for the aforementioned meltdown.
THIRD TIME'S A CHARM. I love Clinton Kelly from TLC's What Not to Wear. I've seen him twice at Macy's events. He's funny, and charming, and downright adorable. This Saturday, I cemented my stalker status by going to see him for the third time. To be fair, I went with my friend A, whom I had reconnected with on Facebook. For me, it was more about seeing and spending time with her. Although we weren't close in high school (I was really quiet and shy, and I think, well I know, that people interpreted that behavior as standoffish and bitchy), we've grown closer (Thank you, internet!), and it was good to finally be able to get together. I was pleased that the whole outing unfolded very organically, I didn't feel awkward or shy, and I genuinely had a good time, which surprised J to no end because he knows how reserved I can be around people. My favorite quote is, "I like people -just in small doses!" We had a great time, and I thoroughly enjoyed her company.
FUDDRUCKERS. For dinner. I lurve it. It's the only place, besides the occasional McDonald's craving, where I will eat a hamburger. Deliciousness. J had suggested going to the beach for dinner, but with all the driving I had done during the day, I was a little dizzy.
SUNDAY:
PARLEZ-VOUS FRANCAIS? When I was at U.M., I spent one summer abroad at the American University of Paris. While other students stayed in the dorms, I was lucky enough to be offered the chance to stay at a university apartment, which was way cooler than the dorms and in a much hipper (and safer) part of the city. My roommate C was also a student at U.M, and we became fast friends. Over the years, we lost touch, mostly because of me. I have a hard time maintaining relationships, not for lack of want, but for ridiculous insecurities that I seriously need to get over. Anyway, we reconnected via Facebook, and we made plans to get together for brunch at a yummy French cafe on the beach. It was great to see her. We had a lot of catching up to do. Her husband passed away last December, and as she sat across from me, I was in complete awe. Here she was, a widow at 29 (she's 30 now), and a single mother of a two year old. I was really impressed by her candor and her strength. Like with A, I felt very comfortable, and it was as if we just picked up where we had left off. I had a lovely time with her, and when I mentioned trapezing to her, she got very excited and said she'd love to try it. I told her I'd love to do it again so if she planned on doing it, to count me in.
BEST SIGHT. As I was leaving the beach, I saw a guy riding a bicycle in a RED THONG! Hot damn! Priceless! By the time I realized I had my camera in my purse, it was too late. :(
TARGET. After brunch, I went to Target. I wanted to buy some decorations for Christmas, and they have a bunch of decorations in my signature colors -green, hot pink, purple, at affordable prices. I spent more than was affordable -while I was there I saw a great shirt that J would look super handsome in and I have a baby shower next week, so I figured I might as well get that out of the way.
MR. CLEAN, MR. CLEAN. When I got home, I started to clean the germ hole that is otherwise known as my bathroom.
OVERVIEW
After such a craptastic week, this weekend was everything I needed. I'm so happy I didn't chicken out and back out of seeing and reconnecting with my old friends. I feel like it was a really big step for me and oddly enough, I feel it's given me a teeny bit of perspective. I'm still overwhelmed by the mundane and underwhelmed by the bigger picture, but I think I'll be okay. And in the end, what more could I ask for?

1 comments:

AmandaDufau said...

Dude! Totally how I felt too! We have to do it again...with or without Clinton! LOL