Saturday, November 15, 2008

Happy Thoughts

This year, my school began a new enrichment project for the elementary students; we are planting an organic garden. We are partnering with an orphanage in India, whose children are also planting a garden. On Thursday, one of the volunteers from the orphanage came to our school to talk to our students about their new "brothers and sisters" in India. She asked all of our students to take off their shoes and gave each child a piece of newspaper and a cracker. She then told our students that the newspaper was their bed and their blanket, and the cracker was their whole meal for the day, unless they had brothers or sisters, in which case they would share that one tiny cracker with them. The students were shocked and amazed. Living in the land of plenty, blessed beyond belief, makes it difficult to comprehend having to fight with wild dogs for food from the garbage, living on the streets without parents, and just plain having to survive such a harsh life.

And I was extremely touched as well. I complain SO much about what I DON'T have, that I rarely focus on what I DO have. So, similar to my lovely S, here's a list of things I'm thankful for:

  • J, without him I'd think I'd be in the fetal position most of the time.
  • My family, they drive me crazy, but they love me beyond belief. They're always encouraging me, giving me advice, trying to ESP my thoughts, and helping me out in any way they can. Special shout out to: My mom & dad, L (who speaks to anyone about how they got pregnant and then gets their doctor's name and phone number and passes it on to me), E, C, Nana, Pachu, S, L, and V.
  • My friends, I really don't have many, a hazard of hating to talk on the phone, but the handful that I have always make me smile.
  • My home, it's small and cute and adorably decorated, and even though it's not the cleanest, three dogs makes it difficult, it's home, and I love it.
  • My dogs, especially Snoopy, who I let sleep in the bed with me and with whom I don't have to fight for food.
  • My body, I know it sounds odd, especially when I'm always bitching about losing weight, but I'm thankful because my body is healthy and strong. I can get out of bed easily, exercise, and play. I can feel my heart pounding, my breath labored, as I run. And there's no better feeling.
  • Books, I've read three this week, and nothing is my "Calgon, take me away" like a good book.
  • Hot showers, good blowouts, highlights, massages, manicures and pedicures, even though my recent financial state has put the kaibosh on manis and pedis (I'd eat rocks to get my hair highlighted, and I signed a 12 month contract at Massage Envy in June when our financial picture was much brighter so I can get a massage every month, I know, I know, poor me), I love pampering myself, even if it's just taking a shower after a sweat session at the gym.
  • Facebook, which has allowed me to get in touch with old friends, and more specifically has made it easier to become closer to some. I'm talking about you, A!
  • The Internet, blogging, shopping, catching up on gossip -I heart the internet.
  • Money, please don't drop dead because if you read this blog at all you know that money is my biggest concern, and we still live paycheck to paycheck, but we live, we manage, and put in that perspective, it sure doesn't suck.
  • My future, I've got one, I don't know what it is, but I don't really need to, God is in control, right? So I'm going to just try and enjoy the ride.

So think about it. What are you thankful for? I bet when you stop and think about it, you'll realize that your glass is half full.

1 comments:

AmandaDufau said...

Am I the A you are referring to?
;-)

Wow, that's a pretty powerful visual for the kiddos, and for us grown-ups too.
I was telling hubby the very same thing yesterday: it may seem like we don't have much, we don't make enough money, and all that, but we have our health, our home, and each other. The rest is gravy!
xoxoxoxo