Sunday, April 12, 2009

Pack It Up

I'm in a little bit of a funk right now. A little overwhelmed with my life, specifically our financial situation.

I'd like to pack it all up, sell it, and get the hell out of dodge.

But I know that that's not the answer.

What prompted this little meltdown? We were blessed enough to come into a wee bit of money, and it has to go toward debt. On the one hand, I'm grateful that I have this extra bit of moola to put toward our bills. On the other hand, I'm frustrated that our previous financial missteps don't allow us to enjoy this little windfall.


J and I have been in an unfortunate cycle over the last three and a half years. A BIG part of it is circumstantial -job losses (hello, four months of being unemployed), lower incomes, blah, blah, blah. But part of it is a result of "violent spending". That's a direct quote from J. Now, we're not popping bottles of Cristal or buying flat-screen T.V.'s, but every little bit adds up. I completely accept full responsibility for the financial decisions that put us where we are today.

But, cookies? It sucks. We're in a holding pattern. It's not that I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel, it's just that at this point, the light is a teeny, tiny sliver of light that I really have to squint to see.
I'm trying to slowly implement some of the strategies advocated by FB, and I'm also getting this book.

And I've applied to both Kaplan and the Princeton Review to see if I can get a part-time job as an S.A.T. or GRE tutor. Working for either of these two companies would be great because the money would be worth it ($17 - $25/hour, which I think is awesome for part-time work) and the hours are flexibile, mostly nights or weekends. Getting a job and then working 10 hours/week would be a huge help, and it would still allow me to maintain my current job.

Deep sigh. I just want things to change.

0 comments: