Sunday, August 16, 2009

Back to School




So. Summer is over. Tomorrow, I have to go back to school. And it's definitely bittersweet because I've had a really great summer.

Let's go over some of the highlights:

1. Joe and I went to the Dominican Republic, our first vacation in over six years.

2. I worked with my parents for a good majority of the summer, which helped keep us in the semi-black financially. My mom approached me about possibly working with her next year and eventually taking over the business. It's a lot to think about. I haven't made a decision, but it feels good to know that I have options. I like the idea of owning my own business.

3. I got a night job, which was also a financial blessing because lately I've felt as if we've been hemmorhaging money. The refrigerator broke and it was $250 smackaroonies and J's car needed new tires and some other repairs so that was another $250 buckeroos and between a little of this and that, we had to dip into our super tiny modest savings. But like J says, "At least we had it."

4. J and I seriously discussed our finances. I manage the monies, and sometimes J has a don't ask don't tell policy about money. He's a big believer in the idea that things will just work themselves out. But after hitting rock bottom, we were forced to seriously address the situation. We cut up our credit cards, cut back, and are working on being debt free. I've paid off some of my baby cards (Gap & Victoria's Secret), and even though we have a long way to go, I really believe we'll get there.

5. My lovely nieces came to visit. We did a bunch of fun stuff (beach, pool, paddleboarding), and I was so sad to see them go.

6. I got my lady business cleaned up, and I'm ready to get pregnant. I'm trying to stay positive so that my overwhelming hope doesn't break my heart if things don't work out, but I'm leaving it in God's hands. Or trying to, anyway. I have dreams of a double pregnancy with my new SWF.

7. I started taking anxiety medication. And I love it. I really think it works. I haven't cried in weeks, and I definitely feel more level-headed. That doesn't mean that I don't have the occasional episode, but overall, I feel more in control. I actually wish my dose were higher, but that would mean going back to my devil doctor. And, um, no.

8. I've started some new friendships, which have made me really happy. I've always been more of a loner, primarily because I'm terrified of getting hurt. And I'm super sensitive about my crazy idiosyncraises, which have always made sustaining friendships difficult. But I'm making progress, cookies. And it feels good.

9. I reconnected with God. So funny, right? Like I just called him up and said, "Hey, You, it's been a while." But I had lost my faith. Too busy, too worried, too much thinking about everything else. So when I hit rock bottom, it felt good to know that even though I had run away from Him, He was still there.

There've been a lot of ups and downs, but I really think that this is the best summer I've ever had.

Thanks for letting me share it with you. :)

3 comments:

AmandaDufau said...

Grease 2, one of my guilty pleasures!! =)

Andie said...

ha. now i'll have that song stuck in my head all day.

and cookie, I'll be your friend. :) I'm happy to listen and be someone to bounce stuff off of!

You will pay off your debt. I know you can do it!

and good for you for taking care of your lady business.

Chrissy, Jess, & Baby Lena said...

I heart you! I LOVE Grease2 BTW.