Monday, October 13, 2008

I HEART Tim Gunn!

This morning, I was watching Tim Gunn's Guide to Style, which, to be honest, I only watch because he's so darn charming and endearing, and because it's Columbus Day and I got a day off from work.


Because Tim is great, and I even like that new lady Gretta, so much BETTER than Veronica Webb, but the show is definitely not as good as What Not to Wear on TLC. I mean, I have rearranged my Friday night plans to watch new episodes of What Not to Wear. And, I've stalked, I mean seen Clinton twice at Macy's events, one of which was an event for plus size women, and let me tell you, even though I've moaned and groaned about gaining weight, I am no where near the double digits. To further add to the insanity, a girlfriend and I are planning on driving to Naples to see Clinton again. Crazy, much? Don't even bother answering.

Anyway, this is not about my unfailing love for all things Clinton. This is about T to the G. I love his ginormous vocabulary and how he always looks utterly flummoxed (it's an SAT word, dictionary.com it) when he looks in the participants' closets. The look of abject horror is priceless, if not a bit worrisome, for folks on a budget like myself.

Now granted, he never mentions labels, only fit, silhouette, proportion, and style, but he also never mentions The Gap, Old Navy, Forever 21, or Macy's, which is where the bulk of the clothes and shoes in my closet come from. I think I've got a pretty good sense of style, minus everything I wore in the nineties, of course, but there's no way I could afford to shop at Bloomingdale's.

In fact, last week a friend told me he splurged on a pair of Gucci boots for fall, at Barneys, nonetheless, and I was SO JEALOUS! First of all, he's a boy, and a straight one at that! And second of all -GUCCI! Would I love to be able to
splurge or invest, as all the major fashion magazines are trying to convince me would be a more appropriate word, in high quality items? Well, duh. It doesn't take Scooby-Doo to figure out this mystery, but Mr. & Mrs. Smart Cookie have to pay the mortgage, my friend, so it's not going to happen.

Back on track, it got me to thinking. What would the Gunn think about my wardrobe? Hmmm. I'm not really sure. I like the way I dress, but is it, Tim Gunn's Guide to Style? Not always. So I will have to live with the knowledge that should Tim Gunn ever visit me and my budget babe's closet, he will be nonplussed, to say the least. But then, I'll just have to fill him in on Smart Cookie's Guide to Style.

Holla at your girl!

2 comments:

AmandaDufau said...

I'm ashamed to say that I don't know who Tim Gunn is, but I CAN'T WAIT till Nov. 22nd! =)

Claudia said...

I love watching What Not To Wear...I almost nominated myself when I found out they were going to be in Miami.